Friday, May 9, 2008

A special request

Yes dear readers, sometimes I take requests. People say things like "let's go out to dinner and then you can blog about it," or "where's the recipe for such and such..." and I, being the accommodating blogger that I am, write about it! Amazing.

Here's another Cinco De Mayo recipe (and you thought we were done with it) requested by Katie Brook (of the Red Terror Squad). She really liked this recipe, but I didn't really have any pictures of it.....but she wanted it, so here it is. I adapted this recipe from Rick Bayless for my friend Kate (but not the one who requested this recipe) who is allergic to many many things (corn, fish, nuts, soy, red meat, dairy....did I get them all?).

Tomatillo Chicken Stew

2 pounds chicken thighs, chopped into bite size pieces
about 2 pounds tomatillos
2 pickled jalapenos
Worcestershire sauce
3 garlic cloves
salt
cilantro

1. Peel the weird leafy part off of your tomatillos and rinse them. Tomatillos are weirdly sticky. Chop them into wedges and spread over the bottom of an 8x8 inch pan. Sprinkle with salt.

2. Peel and halve your garlic cloves. Stem and half the jalapenos. Chop some cilantro and put all three things on top of the tomatillos. If you had a ton of them for some reason and took a picture of it, it would look like this:


3. Mix your chicken and Worcestershire sauce together and put it on top of the tomatillo mixture.

4. Cover with tin foil (or a lid if your pan has one....mine didn't) and put in the oven at 300 degrees for two and a half hours.

Eat it and marvel at how everyone likes this tiny dish you made for one person who didn't actually get to eat any of it. Sad (but happy since people liked it).

I'm working my way up to the flan.....there are a lot of pictures. I've really got to get psyched. Here's a picture of Katie enjoying herself in my house. Yay!

4 comments:

Kat said...

eggs! and sunflower! and kiwi!

aw, sad, my first appearance in your blog, and its as the bad friend who didn't show up to eat the special dish you made just for me at your big exciting dinner. I'm sorry i couldn't come!!!

ah well, its prolly for the best anyhow...I've yet to find a kate-safe wostershire sauce ... and if you have, its just one more reason to say 'aw, suck!' about missing your not-cinco-but-tres de mayo dinner.

Lena said...

Crap, I always forget eggs! Oh well. You're not a bad friend. Don't worry about it.

Katie Brook said...

Thank you, Lena!!!

Meredith said...

I'm a late commenter- sorry, being away makes things tough- it will be worse next week, so perhaps I'm just preparing you for the real separation. That was such a great night, though. Everything was amazing.