Saturday, May 10, 2008

Flakety Flan


Alright people, here it is: the long awaited (by me anyways) chocolate flan post. This is my last Cinco De Mayo recipe! Then it's back to made up pasta dishes and random fruit crumbles.

Chocolate Flake (flan+cake) adapted from El Charro

1 cup caramel

Cake:
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Flan:
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
3 eggs
2 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla

1. Grease a baking pan with the caramel. It's fun. It makes your hands sticky. I used a 10 inch springform pan which turned out to be a mistake. You'll see.


2. Beat all the cake ingredients in a mixing bowl on low speed for at least 30 seconds so that it's combined, then beat on high for 3 minutes. Pour the batter into the pan.


3. Beat all the flan ingredients on high for 2 minutes.


Pour the flan mixture on top of the cake mixture.


I thought it would stay separate. But it didn't. Let it sit out for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 45 minutes.



See the cute layers? That's nice. It would have a larger layer of flan if it hadn't all leaked out of my pan into the water bath that I placed it in......


Whoops. That's not good. It still tasted good though. And really, who likes flan that much? I maintain that it's mostly not that good (unless my Aunt Terry makes it. I like hers). Plus, chocolate cake? Always good. It all works out. The universe is looking out for me. And you. See, Chris likes it.


And here's Meredith again, huffing on whipped cream. Classic.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I didn't inhale. And I spit. Zach can corroborate. And then he said I had drank too much, but I won't hold it against him, because he did witness the "moonshine incident", which was rough. Anyway, this time all the food stayed in my tummy where it belonged, except for said Reddy Whip, and that was just a gut reaction.

Sorry for all that.

Also, I love that flake.

Please, always screw it up so it tastes just as delicious.