Thursday, May 22, 2008

Dumplings are universal

I was not always such a foodie. There was a time that I lived on Annie's Mac and Cheese and never touched red meat (I know, it was crazy). But it wasn't so long ago. My culinary horizons really expanded in New York City. One of the first "different" foods I tried? Pierogi. Pierogi are dumplings filled with meat or cheese or whatever the cook feels like putting in (tradition be damned!). My favorite pierogi come from Veselka - probably because they're the only pierogis I've ever had that didn't come from a package. Also, you can get them fried instead of boiled. Not as traditional (or healthy), but twice as delicious (at least). The ones pictured are the special of the month (if "month" means "last five months") - arugula and goat cheese.


I got these with Zack and Joe (Zack's dad) last weekend. There was a time when I took everyone I knew to Veselka all the time. It was cheap and the food was good and I lived around the corner. I think I burned Zack out on it, because he refused to go there for a while. But he surprised me by suggesting we go there on Saturday night (possibly because the show he was designing was across the street). I was especially glad because I thought that the world (and by the world, I mean readers of my blog) should know about it. And now you do.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Ooooo I love that place! I took my (Ukrainian) grandfather there when everyone was in town for my wedding...he said it was great and it reminded him of his mother's cooking. And, technically, having fried pierogi is traditional...as I understand it, anyway, (and as its done in my family) you make a big batch of boiled pierogi for dinner, and then for breakfast, fry up the leftovers. :-P

Meredith said...

I love Veselka as well! I love them fried with applesauce and sour cream.

Have I ever mentioned that I love sour cream? I do. A lot.