Sunday, May 4, 2008

Almost Cinco de Mayo......

I know you're all eagerly waiting to see my posts about Cinco De Mayo, but I'm going to be honest with you - I feel like death. I have either killer allergies or a sinus problem and I played hockey today so I'm not really up to posting a huge post about Cinco De Mayo yet, so I will start the slow unveiling process with a recipe for refried beans. Will there be pictures of people eating the food? No, not yet. But they're coming!

Refried pinto beans (adapted from Rick Bayless)
2 cans pinto beans
about 1/2 cup beef broth
2 small onions
1 small chorizo sausage
salt and pepper

1. Render the fat from your sausage. That means cook it over medium heat until it gives off the fat. If you don't have enough fat, add some canola oil (or veggie, anything bland). Remove the sausage. You can add it at the end if you want, but I didn't.


2. Add your onions. Cook them until they turn brownish (about 8 minutes).


3. Add your broth and about a third of the beans. Mash the beans up. The recipe called for a wooden bean masher but I don't have one of those, so I improvised with a wooden spoon and spatula.


4. Keep adding the beans until they're all mashed. If you like some whole beans mixed in, just don't mash them as much. It's up to you.


Now eat them! They're good with rice.

More recipes/pics coming soon.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Somehow I didn't get to taste these- they were at the other end of the table. I'm very sad about it, as refried beans are one of my favorite foods...