Monday, May 5, 2008

Cinco De Mayo!!!!!!

When most of you read this, it will be Cinco De Mayo no more. But that's just how it goes. This past Saturday I cooked all this food.


Why, you may ask? Because I'm crazy. Or possibly masochistic. Or maybe I just like to cook. Let's hope it's the last one. You see a lot of things on this table: rice, beans, my corn puddtata (always a huge hit), chicken stew, pico de gallo, guacamole, cheese, sour cream.......and continuing my slow unveiling of recipes, here is my main course! Chilaquiles! Adapted from Rick Bayless:

2 large onions
3 16 oz jars of salsa (I used regular tomato salsa, but Rick Bayless suggests tomatillo salsa - I think that would have been better, but I was already using a lot of tomatillos)
3 Tbs canola oil
1 quart chicken broth
24 oz tortilla chips (yeah, that's a lot of chips)
2 cups monterey jack or mild cheddar cheese (I used way more than two cups of cheese. And I used a combination of both. I'm crazy like that)
2 to 3 cups shredded chicken (I shredded chicken from 2 rotisserie chickens. Zack ate the skin)
3/4 cup sour cream mixed with a little milk so that it's pourable
cilantro

1. Put all your chips in a really big pan and scatter the cheese on top (I shredded the cheese in my food processor - KitchenAid! It's the best).


2. Get a big pot and heat the oil in it. Chop the onions and brown about 2/3 of them in the pot (it should take about 8 minutes). Save the rest for scattering on top of the finished product.


3. Add the chicken broth and the salsa and bring it to a boil.


4. Pour the onion/salsa/broth mixture over the chips. Throw the chicken on top and cover the pan. Let it sit for at least 4 minutes. If you like it crispy, uncover it after 4 minutes. If you like it a little mushier, leave it longer.

5. Pour the sour cream over it and rip up some cilantro for color.


Then eat! Here's my friend Chris eating. You can't tell from this picture, but he likes the food.


This one picture doesn't really relate but it's too good not to put on my blog - here's Meredith after she broke a bag of ice on my kitchen floor. Whoops! (We may have still used it to make margaritas.....shhhhh)


Stay tuned for posts about chocolate flan and homemade ice cream!

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Was that the Meredith is a silly goat post???

Seriously, though, the food was great and the company was even better. Or was it the other way around? Okay so they were equally great.

And I'm sure the tequila killed the germs on the ice.
Also you had recently cleaned the floor, so I'm not a total villain...

AHR said...

Ooh, tri-colores chilaquiles! I was too busy eating them to notice the red, green, and white theme going on there. Pretty. Pretty DELICIOSO. PS you still have my Mexican flag and I'm going to need that back.

Katie Brook said...

I want your chicken stew recipe! Post it! It was the best dish of the night!