Thursday, May 15, 2008

I like mustard

Mustard is not something I've always enjoyed. I think it's one of those child palate versus adult palate things and now that my tongue thinks I'm a grown up, I like mustard. Especially the spicy homemade kind - although that's hard to find. So when Serious Eats had a post on Pork Chops with Mustard and Sour Cream Sauce, I thought "hey, I like mustard and I have pork chops in my fridge." It was fate. Or at least good timing.

Pork Chops with Mustard and Sour Cream Sauce - adapted from Serious Eats


1/8 cup chicken stock
1/8 cup low-fat sour cream
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon stone-ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
2 pork chops
Pinch sugar
Salt and pepper

1. Season your pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides. Put a pinch of sugar on one side of each pork chop.


My pork chops aren't locally grown. They're just from the supermarket. Oh well.

2. Heat your oil in a skillet over medium. Put your pork chops sugar side down and let them sit for five minutes. They'll make a nice crust. There will be lots of flavor.


3. Flip them, turn the heat down to low and cover your pan.


If I'd used a pan with a lid that fit, I think it would have been better. C'est la vie. Cook them until they register 140 degrees on an instant read thermometer - or until you cut into it and it's not raw anymore.


4. While the pork chops cook, combine these ingredients:


That's chicken stock, sour cream, Dijon mustard, stone-ground mustard, and cornstarch. Combine them in a blender. I used my food processor because it's awesome.


5. Once it's combined, cook it over low heat. Whisk it until it's thickened.


6. Pour it over the chops and if you're fancy, add the parsley. I didn't. Zack hates parsley.


I could have used more sauce. If I made it again, I'd probably double the sauce.

No comments: