Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Emotional Eating is Okay in Moderation

Sometimes, you're not feeling too great. You've scoured New York searching for a little black sweater and sparkly tights with no success, you're making bupkus on unemployment, the holidays are approaching way too fast for you to comprehend and the man at the hair salon mocked your scalp and insinuated that you were going bald at 25. What can you do to feel better?

You can go to Veselka - I've written about it before - click here. If you know me at all (and if you're reading this blog, the chances are fairly high that you do), you've been to that wonderful Ukrainian restaurant that's open 24 hours a day.


Veselka is one of my all time favorite restaurants. It's on 2nd avenue and 9th street in the East Village, right near where I used to live for many years. Before I enjoyed branching out and trying new things, all I really ever wanted to do was eat at Veselka. Even now that I like new things, I still love it there. Since I felt all sad and snarky and bald, I decided to order some delicious comfort food - cabbage soup and pierogi.


I love the cabbage soup. It's tart and savory with chunks of potato and shredded chicken. You get a side of challah bread to dip in the warm broth. My picture is blurry, but hopefully you get the idea.


Pierogi are Ukrainian dumplings. You can fill them with potato, meat, cheese, spinach, mushrooms - whatever you want. Then they're boiled and/or fried. I picked the "pierogi of the month" (which is a total lie - they've been on the menu for what seems like the past five years) - Arugula and Goat Cheese. Two of my favorite things, in a dumpling, what could be better? I got them fried. I got the small portion though, so it evens out.

I felt way better after my meal. Therapists may call this "emotional eating." To them I say, suck it, I feel better and my tummy is nice and warm.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Yay emotional eating! We can't help it. Was that the same day we had cookies and mashed potatoes? Quite a day. Those cookies are constantly calling to me.

David Borgen said...

Joe and I (Presidents Emeritus of the Lena Fan Club) took Lena here for brunch on Sunday. We waited out in the cold (very cold) for about half an hour and then thawed out over hot coffee and latkes. Lena was so happy there...db