Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I love freestyling.....



Have you ever heard of Freestyle Love Supreme? Chances are, you haven't (unless you're directly related to one of them - or are a huge Lin-Manuel Miranda fan). But I'm here to tell you that you should go seek them out! They are pretty awesome.

Freestyle Love Supreme is (and I hope I'm describing this correctly) a hip hop improv comedy troupe. The show is improvised (with some cues from the audience) and the players change from show to show. Jamie heard that they were playing at Comix, and so we headed all the way over to 9th Avenue to check them out. It was pretty awesome. I mean, who doesn't love freestyling about Angelina Jolie, booty calls or supercalifragilisticexpeladoious (some motherf***er put this here to make me sound atrocious - hilarious).

What I want to know is this - how did I know so many people in this group and never heard of them until Jamie looked it up? Two members of the group went to NYU (they were even in my studio! While I was there!) and one was in plays at the Willows Theatre! Shouldn't I have heard of them? And why hasn't anyone introduced me to Lin-Manuel yet?

Anyways, they're great, they have another show on Monday, August 11 at 9pm at Comix. Lin-Manuel won't be there (but maybe Chris Jackson will be - that's for you In The Heights fans). It's worth seeing! Check it out!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Heehee I love me some Lin Manuel. I can't go to that show, but perhaps there will be another some time.