Monday, June 2, 2008

I have my reasons

Hello, my dear readers. I've noticed that very few people have read my blog lately. Probably because I haven't written anything. To that, all I can say is moving = death. Death! I'm not doing it again until I'm rich and can pay people to do it for me.

But moving on.

This thought has been plaguing me for some time now. It may be controversial, but I don't care. Here it is, my dark secret: I don't want to see Patti LuPone in Gypsy.


But why? Lena, don't you know that Patti LuPone is so amazing? And isn't Gypsy the best musical ever? What's wrong with you?

Here are my reasons. They are sevenfold.

1. I saw Bernadette Peters as Mama Rose five years ago and she was amazing.

2. I did Gypsy in regional theatre four years ago and experienced the show 49 times (not including rehearsals). That's a lot of Gypsy. I still haven't gotten over it.

3. It's three hours long!

4. Tickets to Broadway musicals cost a lot of money and I'm poor now because I just moved (I'd be poor anyways. I don't make much money. Can you get me a job?).

5. I secretly think that I would be the best Mama Rose ever and I don't want to see anybody else do it but me.

6. It's three hours long! I thought that was worth pointing out again.

7. I saw Patti as Mama Rose at City Center last summer (Ana and Sarah took me for my birthday). I know, you're thinking, what? So you have seen her! Aha! But apparently, all the reviewers say she's so much better now and that everyone who didn't like it that much should see it again. I won't believe it until I see it. But I don't want to see it. So maybe I just won't believe it, period.

Those are my reasons. Disagree with them if you must.

7 comments:

Meredith said...

I saw Patti Lupone as Mrs Lovett (sp?) in Sweeney Todd, and she was fantabulous, so I don't know... But I'm sure you would make the best Mama Rose ever.

AHR said...

"I won't believe it until I see it. But I don't want to see it. So maybe I just won't believe it, period."

Awesome. This is the kind of logic I base almost all my opinions on.

Miriam said...

moving does = death
I like that your reasons are seven-fold

Katie Brook said...

You WOULD make a good Mother Rose, or whatever she's called... I don't know what I'm talking about, but I DO know that I'd rather watch YOU play a tuba for three hours than some old lazy diva...

Anonymous said...

some say that she's the poor man's barbra streisand... but that's just some.

stick to your guns, moy-borgen.

ps - i'm trying to get you a job.

Anonymous said...

I think you'd make a great daughter of Gypsy too! You can play the mother in the distant future, and yes, you'd be phenomenal!

VM said...

I'm really not the biggest fan of Ms. Lupone, and I don't think she can top Bernadette Peters.

I hear you were an amazing Agnes ;-)