Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sweet and Savory Baked Goods

Hello again. Tonight I decided to make two recipes out of The New Moosewood Cookbook. This was one of the only cookbooks that my mother used when I was a kid, and recently, I've been on a veggie kick and decided to check it out of the library. It's a great old hippie cookbook, vegetarian, handwritten (or at least, made to look handwritten) and delicious. The two recipes that I decided to make were Polenta Pie and Old Fashioned Bread Pudding (since I've still got leftover sourdough).

First I made some polenta, which is just fancy grits, essentially. Here it is below:


Then you bake it in a pie plate for about 45 minutes. While the crust bakes, you saute some vegetables. I used green bell pepper, onion, garlic, zucchini, tomatoes, and mushrooms. (I don't have any pictures of these parts....use your imagination.) Then you take the crust, spread some mozzarella over it, top it with the veggies, and then more cheese. I used fat free cheese which was a mistake. Fat free cheese? Not good. But the rest was good. Plus, I got to imagine what it would have tasted like with Bufalo Mozzarella. Amazing. It looked like this:


I took a piece out before I took the picture. Whoops.

Then I made bread pudding. Super simple! I cut up the leftover bread (the original flat loaf), and put it in a pan with some bittersweet chocolate chips. I mixed together 2 eggs, some milk, a little bit of sugar, salt and vanilla, then poured it over the bread and chocolate and baked it until it set. Here it is:


Miriam (she's my roommate) and I ate some of it before I took the picture. I got way too excited eating tonight and forgot that I had this blog which would work better with pictures of uneaten food. C'est la vie.

No comments: