Thursday, March 27, 2008

I didn't know I liked couscous

Today I had the most amazing lunch at Kalustyan's. What is Kalustyan's, you may ask? It's a Lebanese grocery store with a dingy take out/deli counter upstairs. You want to buy 28 kinds of ghee? Canned truffles? 187 varieties of rice? Kaylustyan's is the place.

I got the deluxe lunch special for $9.99. Most specials were much cheaper, but I just had to have four different options on one plate. I can not tell you what I ate, other than it was the best couscous I'd ever had and some things that had chickpeas in them (there were no labels). You know how when you think of couscous, you think of this:



Well, this couscous looked like this:



Those white pearly things in the middle of the bottom half? That's couscous. Amazing. You all should go there. Unless you don't live in NY. But then you should order things off their website. 27 kinds of ghee......you know you want it.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

I love couscous! Now, I' totally positive that that meal was delicious, but I have to say that lebanese- not so photogenic. Don't tell her I said so.

Katie Brook said...

Where is this wonderful place?

Lena said...

123 Lexington at 28th st. I probably should have said that in the post.