Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Another Passover Post

If I was really clever, I'd have set it up so that people could have made these for their sedars....but oh well.

Zack and I went to a sedar this weekend in Boston and had some great homemade matzo ball soup. When I got back to New York, I thought, "I bet I could do that." As someone who used to think that matzo balls came from a Manichevitz jar, this was quite the interesting challenge.

It turned out to be a snap. You could totally do this at home.

Matzo Balls!
2 Tbs fat, room temperature (I used duck fat, because I had it in the fridge. Chicken fat would be traditional. Or you can use vegetable oil)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup matzo meal
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs seltzer (to keep it light)

1. Mix together the fat, eggs, matzo meal and salt.


2. Mix in the seltzer. It will bubble and be awesome. When everything is a uniform consistency, cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, boil some water.

3. Scoop out the mixture with a teaspoon into the boiling water. Try to make eight balls about an inch in diameter (they will GREATLY expand).


4. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes.

That's all there is to it! At this point, you could save them in a Tupperware for a later date. Or you can make soup, or heat up a can or do whatever you want, and then add the matzo balls to the soup while it's heating up. All you have to do at this point is heat them through.

Here's one of mine is my homemade (but greatly shortcut-ed) soup.


It was really good - I mean, you could heat up some chicken broth and put the matzo ball in it and it would be good. But if you make some quick soup with a lot of vegetables, you'll feel better about eating giant balls of carbs.

No comments: