Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Out to eat

Every once in a while, I like to pretend like I'm a cool sort of person who goes to fairly new restaurants. Often I will make other people come with me so that I don't feel like a dork. This weekend, the place was The John Dory and the people were Zack, his mom and her husband.

We headed way out to 10th avenue (which, let's face it, is so far west it's practically New Jersey) "early" on a Sunday morning (it was 11am, which in New York time is very early for brunch. Elana makes fun of me and calls it "old lady brunch" but it's not my fault that I like to eat before noon). It is very hard to find - there's no sign, and the doorway looks like a back entrance to a neighboring restaurant. But we managed to find our way in and we were rewarded with this sight.


How many restaurants do you know that have GIANT aquariums in them? I think more of them should. This is the first sign that the John Dory is extremely committed to the fish theme. Take a look behind Margie and Hugh -


That's a lot of fish vases (and a nice picture of people too). These fish vases are all over the place. There are fish mosaics, fish tiles on the floor, lighted fish panels - I mean it goes on and on. Plus, check out the seashell mirrors behind Zack.


I love those seashells. How great is that? There's something so hilarious about the decor here. The food is good too. Here's my smoked salmon with potato pancakes.


The pancake was not what I expected at all. I was thinking of a latke type pancake, but this was almost like a regular pancake that was maybe made with potato flour or something like that. It was so light. I don't know how they did it. Smoked salmon is always my favorite, and the creme fraiche and the fresh chives? Yum.

Zack had two fried eggs with bottarga and potatoes.


Did you know what bottarga is? We didn't either. It's fish flakes - Zack liked them a lot. He proclaimed "these are just like the eggs I make myself at home, only better."

Margie got french toast with mascarpone and meyer lemon.


It was delicious but incredibly rich - more like a dessert than a breakfast. Some people really like sweet things for breakfast, but I am not so much a fan. I always think I'm going to like it, and then I just wish I had a bagel.

(Hugh had oatmeal - I didn't feel the need to take a picture of it. You know what oatmeal looks like, right?)

I would love to go back for dinner or lunch. This place has peaked my interest. Who wants to eat some fish with me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a little hard to eat cute, happy fish when they are swimming all around you? Doesn't it make you want to free all those fish? It did me, and I'm not a strict vegetarian!

Meredith said...

You know I'm in.
I just went to West Branch for the first time. Also a fun one.