Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I wish I hadn't thrown the box away

Sometimes I forgo my giant collection of cookbooks (it's really getting out of control at this point) and I just use the recipe off the back of the box. I feel a little bad doing it (like I'm using Campbell's soup or onion dip mix or something), but this one was good. It was from Trader Joe's (point one already). It was a really pretty box (point two). And the recipe on the back called for things I already had in my kitchen, like pine nuts and flat leaf parsley (game, set, match)!


I recycled the box already....so I don't actually have the recipe now. But as far as I remember, I toasted some pine nuts (one tiny bag - Meredith would recommend that you use walnuts instead because they are healthier - but this dish went with my duck and carrots - I wasn't in a super healthy mood) in 1 Tbs of butter, set them aside, softened some shallots in butter, added the couscous and a cinnamon stick, waited until the couscous was slightly brown, then filled up the pan with chicken stock and covered it. When the chicken stock evaporated, I added some salt and pepper, chopped flat leaf parsley and raisins and the pine nuts (and maybe some lemon juice? I can't remember. I'm going to have to buy it again).


It was good! A nice change from my usual side dishes, like potatoes or pasta....I'm in a bit of a food rut. It was super easy and quick to make as well. So head to Trader Joe's and get some!

No comments: