Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I love bagels

All of a sudden, my week snowballed on me (both figuratively and literally). It's cold and I got busy. But not too busy to eat.

Meredith
had suggested that we do a recession friendly lunch at Russ and Daughters, a mainstay of the lower east side, featured on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, the very episode that I talked about last week. Since the classic meal there is a bagel with lox (one of my long time favorite foods), it seemed like a no brainer.


We braved the cold and went into the little shop which, by the way, is prepared food heaven. Rows and rows of canned sardines, tuna, olives, breads, plus deli counters filled with lox and whitefish and egg salad greet your eye right when you walk in. There is also a large chocolate display. Yum!

Meredith and I each got a variation on a classic sandwich. I got belly lox (salt cured) on an everything bagel and she got Irish lox (because it's organic and she's Meredith). Here's mine.


They were both excellent! I loved how salty mine was, it went well with the cool cream cheese. Meredith's Irish lox had a smokier taste that was great as well.

I'm totally going back. I just ate my sandwich an hour ago and I already want more.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

That was an excellent bagel and lox. As we stated, even people who think they don't like lox should try Russ and Daughters- it was fabulous.