Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The last of the red hot California produce

When coming back from California, I smuggled some fresh California produce across the country with me (strapped to my body with duct tape - just kidding, in some Tupperware). I brought back two apples, two oranges and an avocado (oh sweet avocados.....you are my secret love). Zack and I ate all the fruit on Monday, and I was going to use the avocado in something that night, but I got tired and confused from jet lag and didn't. So last night, I was determined to use it.

So.......here we go!

Sweet corn polenta, topped with avocado.


3 cups chicken stock or water (that's what that Wolfgang Puck box is.....usually I use organic stuff that I buy in bulk at Costco, but I ran out)
1 cup instant polenta or cornmeal (I bought fancy farmer's market polenta in CA, but I left it there. Argh! So I bought this kind at Fresh Start Market in Astoria to make up for it)
1 oz grated cheddar cheese
about 3/4 cup frozen corn (or fresh if it's the summer)
salt and pepper
1 ripe avocado!

1. Bring your chicken stock or water to a boil and slowly stir in the polenta. Whisk it until it's smooth and let it simmer. Keep stirring frequently, otherwise it will stick. Cook it over low heat for about 30 minutes (or shorter if you can't wait. I can't wait, but I'm trying to follow the package directions for now). Add some salt and pepper to taste.


2. Grate your cheese while the polenta simmers. I love cheese. Maybe you should grate some extra so that you can eat it while you wait.


3. Stir in your corn. It will defrost in the warm polenta. Unless you're doing it wrong and you've reversed the heating process by sticking it back in the freezer or something. But I don't know why you would do that.


4. Add your cheese! You can add way more cheese if you want. I'm trying to cut back on the cheese. Apparently it's not that good for you. Who knew?


5. Now here comes the secret ingredient.......


Avocado! Oh it's so beautiful. I shall marry you and have adorable babies. Chop it up and toss it on top of your polenta.


Looks good, right? Of course right. It makes a great side dish next to some sort of meat. You can eat it by itself if you're a vegetarian. Or too lazy to cook any meat.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

This is interestingly surprisingly like something I've made before. Without the chiles though. This dish could really have used some fresh roasted chiles. Don't they have those in California?
I kid. This looks great.