Thursday, April 17, 2008

It's not my best week



Last night, I was supposed to go to the movies with Elana, but she got sick and had to cancel at the last minute (understandably). Unfortunately, it left me at home alone for the third night in a row. I didn't have any food to cook, since I thought I'd be going out and I didn't have any shows to see, since I didn't get out of the gym until it was too late to make that happen. So what's a girl to do?



Stay at home and watch 4 episodes of Top Chef, apparently. I've never been a Top Chef fan before. I started watching season 3 last summer (the one in Miami), but it was on late at night and I'd fall asleep before it came on (yeah, I'm that pathetic in the summer - and you would be too if you taught kids at 8am every day) and I'd forget to Tivo it and it just slipped away from me. I didn't mind too much. I don't really like reality tv (except truly awful shows like The Starlet on The WB or Grease! You're the One That I Want so that I can mock the shows and feel really superior to the television), so I just never got into it, even though all my friends were telling me that it was the best thing since sliced bread (I like ripping my bread in hunks anyways. So there).



However, I was home, there was nobody there, and my dvds are getting a little worn, so I thought, as long as they were showing all 6 episodes of the season so far on Bravo, I should give it a shot. I set my Tivo, went to the gym (ok, Jazzercise class. I don't really go to the gym), came back, heated up a tamale from Trader Joe's and laid back on the couch. I figured if I hated it, I'd just turn it off and do something else.



Of course I loved it! I don't know why I don't listen when people tell me I'll like things. I always end up liking them (except The West Wing. And The Matrix. I'm holding firm on those). It's fun to watch people cook. I really like that they're not talking down to you like on the Food Network. They're just cooking and swearing and wearing stupid hats while they do it (at least some of them are, the rest just cook and swear). It's also cool to see my favorite celebrity chefs like Anthony Bourdain (you can read my previous post about him here) and Rick Bayless judge things. I always want to agree with them, even though they can't see me trying to validate them so that they'll like me more (that doesn't really make sense - my brain's a little warped today).


I'm seeing a lot of theatre this weekend, both on Broadway and way way off, so get ready for some more theatre posts. Hopefully I'll be able to hop back in the kitchen soon as well. Keep reading!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

It really is a great show. Next stop Battlestar Galactica. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Now that you love Top Chef, I'd like to make a special-blog-entry-request: Please analyze the thrilling theatricality of Judges Table. (I've cried more watching that than any other TV show... except maybe The Wire)