Thursday, July 17, 2008
Oh sweet summer ice cream
This is a good one, my friends. Even Meredith, who doesn't like store bought mint ice cream, liked this. The fresh mint is delicious and who doesn't love chocolate? Or ice cream? Try it.
Fresh Mint Ice Cream with Chocolate Chunks - adapted from Serious Eats
6 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups whole milk
2 cups fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
1 cup heavy cream
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
Before I start, look at how yellow these egg yolks are - cage free organic eggs, you are my long lost friend.
1. Whisk egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar.
2. Heat whole milk, 1/4 cup sugar and mint over low heat. Here it is.
3. Ladle 1/2 cup of the milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. You don't want your eggs to scramble. That would not be right. Mix it slowly into the pan and cook over low heat, stirring a lot. Here it is again.
4. Strain the solids out. Here are the solids.
And here's the mixture! Cool it in the fridge until it's completely chilled. Cover it with plastic wrap - I like to press it down into the mixture so that it doesn't make a weird skin.
5. Freeze in your ice cream maker! Mix in the chocolate right at the end of the freezing process. Put in the freezer for about 3 hours and eat it. Here's Meredith enjoying it with cake - don't worry, my friends. The cake recipe is coming. And it's good!