Monday, February 23, 2009

Mexico!

When it's cold in New York and you grew up in California, all you really want to do is get the hell out of the city and go somewhere warm. Sometimes, like when your dad goes on a conference in Mexico and invites you to come along and freeload for a week, it works out.

I didn't have high hopes for the food at the resort in Baja California (see how I'm bringing it back to food? Way to stay on topic, Moy-Borgen). I mean, it was a really pretty resort. See?


But you know, resort food, it's all about trying to make people feel like they're at home in the Midwest and not actually in whatever country they're visiting. After three days of chicken fingers and club sandwiches (I was hanging out with four kids under age seven), we ventured out into Cabo San Lucas (Mexico's greatest Spring Break town - the perfect place to hang out with your dad and small children).

We took a water taxi out to see the famous sights.


Water taxis are a great way to travel. I think I'll have one installed on my street. They drove us around to the famous arch. It was quite the sophisticated sight for a town that has a bar called "The Giggling Marlin" that hangs you by your ankles and pours margaritas down your throat.


They dropped us on "lover's beach" for a while. You could walk to "divorce beach" from there. I mostly stayed on the water's edge with my favorite seven year old.


But onto the food! All week, I just wanted to eat Mexican food. That didn't seem like too much to ask. You know, while I was in Mexico. We wandered around until we spotted somewhere that looked like it didn't cater to the drunken spring break crowd.


It may not have seemed promising to everyone, but it was right up my alley.


Finally, bring on the enchiladas!


I liked them. The sauce was nice and spicy. They were the best enchiladas I've had for some time, but my dad was unimpressed. He's spoiled though, since he has the best Mexican food ever right down the street from him. Still, I enjoyed it! Mexico! I wish I was still there.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I would like to note your haterade (yes, it's like Gatorade but with hate and not really real) against the Midwest. We have lots of good food and good Mexican too like Rick Bayless...and shady mexican too. But mainly I'm just jealous you go to go to Mexico and get sunburned.

Meredith said...

Hahaha! It's funny when you piss people off.

I love hole in the wall places with plastic chairs. I'm sure even if it wasn't the best Mexican in the world, it was a nice change to chicken fingers.

David Borgen said...

enjoyed trip to cabo with lena...want more pix...db