Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Isn't it spring yet???

Today I walked through the Farmer's Market in Union Square and saw thousands of apples. "It's March!!!!!" I thought to myself. "Apple season is over. OVER! I don't want any more freaking apples!" And then I remembered that I still had four apples in the bottom of my crisper, leftover from a trip that Zack's dad took to an orchard. "I have to use those apples," I berated myself. "But how?"

One trip to the grocery store later, I decided I was too lazy to make a pie crust and picked up some frozen puff pastry. "Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa) uses it," I rationalized. "It doesn't make me a bad person." And so, there are now seven apple turnovers in my kitchen (there were eight - but I ate one).


Apple Turnovers

3.5 apples (I had to throw half an apple away - too brown - 3 would have been plenty though)
1 lemon (zested and juiced)
3 tablespoons sugar, plus extra to sprinkle on top
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch kosher salt
1 package (17.3 ounces, 2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Hope that your oven isn't retarded like mine is and won't randomly stop working for no reason.

Peel and chop your apples. Add the lemon zest and juice so that they don't turn brown. Add sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix it up.


Roll out each sheet of puff pastry into a 12x12 square. Cut each sheet into four squares. Put some filling down on half of each square.


Brush your egg wash on the edges of the squares (this is so they will stick together). Fold the squares into triangles.


Push down all the way around with a fork.


Brush the remaining egg wash over the top of each triangle. Sprinkle some sugar on top. Cut two little slits with a knife across the top of each turnover so that they don't explode while cooking.


Bake for 20 minutes or until they are nice and brown.


See how how flaky and delicious they are? Yum.


Make them for breakfast. Or a snack. Or dessert. Or whatever.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

yeah, I find myself asking the same thing. Hopefully by the time I'm there things will be going a bit more.