Thursday, June 4, 2009

Finally, I think summer is on its way

Today is the first day of my CSA! That's Community Supported Agriculture for those of you who don't know. You can read about it here. Basically, I get a box full of farm fresh vegetables and fruit from a local farm every week for six months out of the year! It's awesome.

I just had to bake something right off. I made a Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble. But that's not actually what I'm blogging about - I'm blogging about this pie that a made a few weeks ago (back when I didn't work 50 hours a week). But the crumble is very similar to this pie.

First of all, I had some pie dough lying around in the fridge. That's just the kind of girl I am. So that made this a lot easier. You could just buy pie dough if you wanted. Or you could make your own, like I did!


This is basically what I did. I chopped up some rhubarb -


- which is a vegetable, not a fruit. Did you know that? It's a very yummy vegetable. It goes well with pork too. But you probably don't want to put pork in your pie. So I mixed together some strawberries (all sliced and diced), one and a half Tbs flour, some lemon zest, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, 2 Tbs melted butter, some ground ginger (to taste) and 1/2 cup sugar along with the rhubarb.


Then I cut thin strips out of more pie dough and made a nice criss cross pattern. I had too much filling, so I made a few tiny pies too.


I baked it in my stupid broken oven at 300 degrees for about an hour (I really don't recommend this - stupid lousy oven) and then I got so annoyed that I put it in the broiler so that it would get brown on top.


It all turned out well though! I took it to a BBQ and everybody loved it. They all ignored the store bought pies that were there. Store bought pies cannot compete with my homemade goodness! I rule. And you can too! Make some pie. People like pie.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Yay! I just had some rhubarb pie last weekend and it was amazing. Someday I'm gonna teach you how to weave your lattice- it makes it look extra cool.

Mikochan said...

Man... I miss Rhubarb. And pie. They don't have pies like that in Japan.

Abigail said...

"But you probably don't want to put pork in your pie."

Unless it's a pork-pie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_pie

David Borgen said...

We got our first CSA box on Tuesday this week. We are new to this. But we actually know one of the farmers from when she was back in high school and the farm is only about 30 miles away from home in the Suisun Valley on the fringe of the Bay Area. We had turnip and cilantro salad last night (the box came with a recipe)...lots of greens...thanks for encouraging us...db