Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Eat your vegetables

I wasn't going to post anything, but I was dicing up this butternut squash -


- and damn, it smells good. It's almost citrus-y and sweet and the color is so gorgeous. I've been reading Marcella Hazan's memoir (you know, the Italian cooking lady on PBS with the lame arm? Anyone?) and she talks about how Italians don't eat vegetables because they're good for you or because the government says so, but because they taste so good (the vegetables grown in Italy, not the crap you get in American supermarkets - I'm paraphrasing here, but that's the general idea).

If you're so inspired, go get a locally grown butternut squash and make this. It's delicious, I promise. And watch PBS.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Mi amo Marcella and yes of course I grew up watching PBS cooking shows with my mom too

Meredith said...

Hiya, sorry I haven't checked up here. I'm all caught up now. I just recently roasted up a butternut squash, and I'm about to eat some of it with greens and polenta. Perhaps my subconscious was drawn to your blog by the siren song of squash.

Miss you!

Jaclyn Perlmutter said...

Hooray for squash!!!