Sunday, October 18, 2009

What's better than hockey on a Sunday morning?

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is: pancakes.

My hockey game was canceled today, so Zack and I woke up and made pancakes (well, I made them and he played computer games. But he was there). They were easy, delicious and made from things I already had in my fridge. No freakin' Bisquick for me.

Ruth's Pancakes - from the Gourmet Cookbook (RIP Gourmet)

note: I halved the recipe because I didn't have enough butter. This is the original recipe.

1 cup whole milk (oh and I actually used buttermilk because I was out of milk in general - but that worked just fine)
2 large eggs
3 tbsp plus 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 cup flour
4 tsp. baking powder
4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt

Whisk together milk, eggs and t tbsp. vegetable oil in medium bowl, then whisk in butter. Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in another medium bowl. Whisk in egg mixture until just combined.

Heat a nonstick pan over moderate heat and add 1/2 tsp oil until it's not but not smoking. 1/3 cup batter = one pancake, so slap about three down and flip when bubbles appear on surface (about 2 minutes). Flip and cook for another minute, then serve with maple syrup.

We ate them before I took any pictures. But they were really good. And now I'm not as sad about hockey being canceled. Win-win.

No comments: